mrbumblepants: (Default)
[personal profile] mrbumblepants
I will not have much time to write today. However, as I was trying to pen down some quick thoughts this morning for a forum argument, I thought about how much better I'd feel if I did that here instead, then developed it over time. I miss my long thoughtful posts, and I miss developing thoughts in essay form. I realize now I stepped away mainly because I was so hurt by how LJ developed. I haven't trusted this place. I think it's time I do.

I thin the next time I have a couple bucks, I'm going to invest them here by getting a paid account for a bit. If I'm paying for it, I'll feel more like using it. Also, less inclined to use Facebook, where they get money off me and what I do there.

I'm working on not feeling obligated to do much there. A lot of people I know are there, and it is necessary for my job, but I still resent how not open source it is. I love open source. Everything I want to have happen is open source.

Another step is getting icons in here.

Date: 2015-09-05 01:34 am (UTC)
From: [personal profile] ketdusky
I've been considering buying a paid account as well, for the same reason. Perhaps putting hard-earned money towards something will drive me to write more! I would definitely like to refine my writing, as I far too often sink into just writing bulleted lists of things.

"Also, less inclined to use Facebook, where they get money off me and what I do there."
Yes EXACTLY. I've also been having an issue lately where I don't see my friends' posts on my feed. I still "follow" them, and will see the post if I visit their page. I've heard before that FB filters based on post content, I suppose that's what I'm running into.

Date: 2015-09-05 01:00 pm (UTC)
From: [personal profile] ketdusky
Thanks for confirming that... reinforces my desire not to visit that site much. Not to even mention all the ads, or the games! It's frustrating that today's games are all reliant on inviting your "friends" for more turns... even regular app games are turning to that mindset.

Date: 2015-09-05 02:03 pm (UTC)
cloudsinvenice: "everyone's mental health is a bit shit right now, so be gentle" (Default)
From: [personal profile] cloudsinvenice
So that's why I get so many invitations from friends even though I haven't played any games on Facebook for years!

Date: 2015-09-05 02:04 pm (UTC)
cloudsinvenice: "everyone's mental health is a bit shit right now, so be gentle" (Default)
From: [personal profile] cloudsinvenice
That's a good idea. I keep meaning to renew mine too; will probably wait until after all the holiday expenses, but I do like supporting DW since they've been so consistent in communicating with us.

I review the necessity of FB regularly and with irritation - unfortunately it tends to be the main place most local friends update, as well as being the most useful place for a lot of local arts events. Still, I resent it.

Date: 2015-09-06 09:12 am (UTC)
cloudsinvenice: "everyone's mental health is a bit shit right now, so be gentle" (Default)
From: [personal profile] cloudsinvenice
I'm not too worried about that unless it gets very big very fast, and that doesn't seem to be on the cards. I'd actually love to know more about its growth statistics, who joins DW, if it's largely a fandom thing or not, etc.

Profile

mrbumblepants: (Default)
mrbumblepants

January 2017

S M T W T F S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 16th, 2026 05:58 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios